1 A balanced diet
Summary of Section 1.2
- There is a need for a certain level of daily energy intake to allow the body to maintain its BMR, and to carry out work.
- Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) is the chemical currency of energy used by the body and is produced from the metabolism of food.
- The body mass index or BMI indicates whether an adult is a healthy weight for their height.
- Inadequate nutrition is a huge problem globally. Anorexia nervosa is one example of inadequate nutrition seen in the UK.
- Obesity is an increasing problem in the western world and is associated with a number of other medical disorders, such as