6 A distributed system
6.2 The application
The first application I shall describe is that of an online bookseller. Such a book sales system would carry out a number of functions:
- It would allow the user to browse through a catalogue of books.
- It would allow the user to browse through a list of the most popular books, with the list being updated every hour.
- It would provide the facility whereby a user can buy books and add them to a notional shopping basket.
- It would inform the user when the books ordered have been sent.
- It would provide customers with the facility to contribute reviews of the books that they have bought.
- It would send regular emails to users who have subscribed to an email list informing them of any recently published books and any special offers.