Welsh history and its sources
11 Bibliography of Welsh history
This bibliography, linked below, incorporates the bibliographies of the Welsh History and its Sources books edited by Trevor Herbert and Gareth Elwyn Jones, and published by the University of Wales Press in the 1980s and 1990s, together with some additional key works of Welsh historical scholarship that have been published since that series was completed.
Click 'view document' to open the bibliography of Welsh history
A number of periodical publications are important for the study of Welsh history – the following are published in English or bilingually:
- The Welsh History Review is published twice a year by the University of Wales Board of Celtic Studies. Its contents pages can be searched online at the Welsh History Review website.
- Llafur, the Welsh People's History Society, publishes an annual journal, Llafur: the Journal of Welsh People's History. Its contents pages can be searched online at the Llafur website.
- The Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion was founded in 1751 to promote literature, the arts and sciences as connected with Wales, and it publishes the Transactions of the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, an annual volume containing the lectures given at its meetings, as well as other scholarly contributions. The contents pages of recent editions and those from a sample of earlier editions can be searched online at the Society's website.
Two important works of reference should also be mentioned:
- The Dictionary of Welsh Biography down to 1940, edited by Sir John Edward Lloyd and R. T. Jenkins (London, The Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion, 1959), with its supplementary volume The Dictionary of Welsh Biography 1941–1970 (2001), both accessible as Welsh Biography Online through the National Library of Wales ‘Digital Mirror’ website.
- The Welsh Academy Encyclopaedia of Wales, edited by John Davies, Nigel Jenkins, Menna Baines and Peredur I. Lynch (Cardiff, University of Wales Press, 2008).