- Maternal deprivation means separation from mother after a bond is formed.
- Maternal privation means a complete lack of mother figure.
- Bowlby's view was that maternal deprivation in the first five years of life is likely to lead to severe and long lasting emotional problems
- Rutter's work showed that Bowlby's findings were over simplistic
- Many other research findings, including Hodges and Tizard's study have shown that early privation and deprivation can be recovered from – the important thing is the quality of the care given, even if this comes later.