Before studying the Polymerase Chain Reaction you should be able to:
- Describe DNA structure.
- Understand DNA replication.
- Understand agarose gel electrophoresis.
After studying this topic you should be able to:
- Outline the steps involved in a typical PCR reaction.
- Describe the polymerase chain reaction in terms of:
- The basic principle.
- The use of a thermostable DNA polymerase.
- The use of a microprocessor controlled PCR machine.
- The sequence information you need before starting PCR (primer design).
- Why contamination is a problem.
- The visualisation of products.
- Its use in creating mutations.
- Types of PCR (e.g. inverse PCR).